22 Jan 2020
0.5.0 is here - stable builds are rolling out
If you have been following along you know the game has been growing but the last two weeks have seen some real form start to emerge. Frankly, this release ended up being too big and I am not going to cover everything that has changed since 0.4.0 (aka 0.1.4) in November.
If you havent played the game since December, you should definitely check it out and…
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK
11 Jan 2020
The release candidate for 0.5.0 is now available
I might add in one or two more tutorials, but otherwise the release is feature complete.
26 Dec 2019
This post is about a week late and I am putting the last bits of 0.1.5 together. Besides the impact of the holidays on things, the past two weeks have been tough and slow in progress. The game stuck in a weird place because I had started to make big changes to the settlement part of the game but the feature ended up about half of what I wanted. I saw three options before me:
- (1) Shoehorn what I could of the remaining half of the work as quickly as possible, knowing I would be redoing it again for 0.1.6
- (2) Delay 0.1.5 until next-year and do the remaining work properly
- (3) Leave the scope of 0.1.5 as-is and release before New Year
I really don’t want to delay 0.1.5 because want to leave 0.1.x behind and do a big 0.2.0 release (targeting May) that would be revisions of existing plus multiplayer and meta progression with a fresh coat of paint.
17 Dec 2019
Welcome back to Tech Debt Tuesday. Last week I shared with you the major pitfalls with how the Fealty code handled game strings, and some pain points you migh encounter if you are doing something similar. The two biggest problems I was facing was that (1) bad data could crash the game and (2) there was a lot of code duplication. Today I want to share with you how I modified the code to address those problems and make editing strings possible from within the game.
10 Dec 2019
Hello, my dear people. It has been almost a month since I wrote to you last and it has been a busy time. There is always a lot to do, of course, and the first casualty becomes writing.
But the good news is that lots of progress has been done in a few areas. Today I want to focus on what I was working on yesterday, which was addressing a tech debt issue with how I had implemented the handling of game strings.
When I say “game string” I am referring to the text content that players see as they play the game. The most direct way to work with game strings is to create them where you need them.