Fealty is a real-time strategy-rpg set in a world inspired by the early middle ages. You take control of a noble family and it is your task to expand your domains, manage your settlements, and muster your forces. The characters in the world are your intermediaries - they can carry out your will, and just as importantly, report on what is happening in the realm - but they are imperfect.

You must lead your family in a brutal world where problems are often solved through violence. But that is not the only way...

Putting everyone to the sword can be effective but so can soft words whispered in the right ear. The right relationships are critical for surviving and coexisting. And do not underestimate the power of coin. A city of thriving trade doesn't need its people to fight when it can pay for whatever mercenaries it needs.

Plan your strategy for neutralizing your enemies.

Choose how you develop your family members to fulfill your strategy.

Lead your family.

Learn more
Fealty is early in development with the current focus being the core real-time simulation and strategic elements.


Last week I did the following, in order:

  1. Finished the Family Tree UI
  2. Had a son IRL
  3. Opinion system
  4. Vassals
  5. Messages
  6. Companies, Raids & Garrisons

If you consider that I mostly work on this a few hours at night (these posts get worked on during lunch breaks) this is quite a bit of stuff actually. Today I want to talk briefly about each of these, and then go into how I was able to add four significant systems in a short amount of time.



Welcome back #fealtyfollowers!

It is great to be back to writing code! Last week I implemented character portraits and family heraldry. Previously, portraits were a single image and the heraldry a backing field with some predefined devices. In the new implementation, these two things are similar - they are both composite images of multiple layers; what is different between them is the layers themselves.

The images I was using in Alpha 1 were exposed to the game by adding them to a SpriteManager GameObject through the Unity interface. This was great for getting stuff done, but was not going to work when I need to add or change many sprites. I deleted that SpriteManager object (You served us well , R.I.P.) and added the oh-so-awesome Better Streaming



Welcome to the first Fealty Devblog.

Initially I did not intend to write Devblogs perse, and I did not have a regular posting time. Instead I would wait for an interesting topic to pop into my head and then bash around ideas and drafts until I got something I thought was worthwhile.


Alpha 1 Post Mortem

My overall take on Alpha 1 was that it went well until I began to outrun the design. Things got shaky as I lost some confidence on how to proceed. This first version has enabled me to validate some design questions, iterate on the core gameplay, and improve parts of the workflow for how this game is going to actually get done.

Here are the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.


What has been and what is next

Hello everybody. It has been an effort to get some kind of update out because 1) there is a lot going on and 2) I couldn’t decide on what to post about from all that is going on. So I will summarize here what has been going on since the end of June, what is happening now, and what will happen next.